Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Strangest Thing

Last night I had a crazy dream that President Hinckley was speaking at our Sacrament Meeting.  We were in a huge, long room with tall heavy garage doors lining the sides.  Half way through President Hinckley's remarks, one of the garage doors near the back started to open to let in a latecomer.  The door took forever to ascend and was very noisy.  We all looked out the door to see who was so tardy.  It was a lady in my ward with her two unruly little boys.  They were still quite a distance away and as they approached, rock music grew louder and louder until it was almost deafening.  The music was coming from the lady's Ipod which must have had built-in speakers.  She had headphones in her ears, but had evidently forgotten to plug the phones into the Ipod.  I was so embarrassed for her.  I motioned for her to pull out the headphones.  She quickly did and noticed her mistake.  She didn't seem nearly as embarrassed as I was.  Meanwhile, President Hinckley has stopped speaking and is just standing there waiting for the commotion to stop.  The lady is absolutely clueless to who is speaking and what is going on.  She proceeds to get her sons settled (if that's even possible) and throws in an occasional yell at them.  At the same time, a friend and I decide we'd better help that lady with her hooligans.  President Hinckley watches us get up and move along our rows.  I guess he decides that the interruption will never end.  Plus he's tired from standing so long.  So, he just returns to his seat.  We segue into an impromptu Primary Program until he is rested enough to finish his remarks.

So weird.  But this is even more strange:

In real life, not in my dream, we had a special Stake Meeting today.  Elder Bednar of the quorum of the 12 apostles was going to speak to us.  I knew he was visiting a nearby city yesterday, so I just assumed our meeting today would be broadcasted from that city to all the Stakes in our area.  Nope.  No broadcast.  And guess who was running late?  Nope.  Not the lady and her spawn.  Thankfully the traffic lights were on our side today and we pulled into the parking lot with 8 minutes to spare.  Sadly, the clocks in the church are a few minutes ahead of my phone's clock.  We walked in right as our Stake President started the meeting and we had to fumble around to find two seats together.  I know we shouldn't be late for any church meeting, but it makes it a million times worse to walk in late when an apostle of Jesus Christ is sitting on the stand.

The meeting was wonderful.  There were no prepared talks.  (There were no garage doors or rock music, either.)  Every person spoke from the heart and by the Spirit.  Elder Bednar taught us for 45 minutes and was only interrupted once....when his wife came to the microphone to correct him.  :)  It was amazing to be taught by a chosen witness of the Lord.  He taught doctrines and bore testimony that we all needed to hear.  I felt so blessed to be taught so personally.  It reminded me of what the saints must have felt hearing Paul or Peter speak.

And then, when the meeting was over and we were leaving the building, guess who held the door open for me?  Hooligan #2.  Really.  He must have escaped his mother again.  I just about fell over into the bushes.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post! Maybe your dream made you a little more reverent... (only a mom would say that). I would love to know what Sis. Bednar said to correct her husband and how he reacted. I am sure he had a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a classic post, Julia. I laughed all the way through. And I hope you pulled yourself together long enough to tell Hooligan #2 what a gentleman he is. You may have changed the course of his life!

    ReplyDelete