Friday, 00:00--Bun wakes up crying. I go try to find her 3-6 month size binkie since her last binkie broke the evening before. 3-6 month binkie falls out of mouth and crib very easily. I didn't expect her last binkie to break in the middle of a horrible stomach bug. I thought I was firm, but I'm more compassionate than that. I find the tiny pacifier and rock poor, skinny Bun back to sleep.
02:00--Repeat
03:00--Repeat
04:00--Repeat
04:20--Repeat
04:40--Repeat
06:15--Repeat. I go check on CJ and cousin Becca. Cousin is sitting up and awake. I rub her hair and tell her it's still nighttime and to try to go to sleep. I return to my now empty bed. (Tay has now left for work. Becca's Mom and Daddy have left for vacation.)
06:30--Both Becca and CJ come bounding into my room. The nausea hits....me. I take them downstairs, get their breakfast and put them, wrapped in blankets, in front of a movie. I return to bed.
06:45--Bun wakes up. The day has officially started. I spend most of my morning between the bed, the couch, and the bathroom. But I will omit the details. Bun spends most of the morning clinging to me and screaming. 3-6 month binkie has vanished and she will not be soothed. I can barely sit, let alone carry Bun around.
08:15--CJ and Becca come downstairs to show me their makeup creations....which are caked all over their faces and necks in swirling, garish colors. CJ also has sparkling lip gloss hands and arms, and (gulp) "Ariel hair." Ariel hair? How could CJ get bright red hair like that? How about 1/2 tube of bright red lipstick.
08:16--I give Becca a washcloth up to the sink and stick CJ in the tub. I scrub her hair until the water turns red. I let out the water, clean the tub, refill. Scrub, empty, clean, refill. Scrub, empty, clean, refill. Scrub, empty, clean, give up.
09:00--I take off the makeup-stained (new) sheets and (new) comforter and throw them in the washer. I take all the makeup away and forbid it for the rest of the day, or maybe the rest of her life.
09:45--Becca's Mom calls. I walk upstairs to give the phone to Becca when I step in something wet and smell fingernail polish instantaneously. Girls have spilled bright pink nail polish on carpet and another sheet. About 10 dripping washcloths have been taken from the bathroom, down the hallway, and to CJ's room in attempt to clean it up. I scream. I send the girls to the corner while I clean up with pure acetone. I don't care if it ruins the carpet. Bleached carpet is better than bright pink carpet. Girls blame the fingernail polish mess on Bun. (Yeah, right.)
10:10--I call Tay crying, and still scrubbing. I am just trying to survive, but the day is going so slowly! How can I make it until 19:00?
11:30--I walk downstairs and see the Sharpies on the ground. I give up. I collapse on the floor. I call a dear friend who just happens to be at the grocery store. She has two new binkies to me before noon.
Oh, Julia! I'm so sorry! This is my reoccuring nightmare (with M and A and J and M and M and R and M and A and J and S!) I think those two tied with R for property damage! But I don't remember having so much on the same day. Sure hope you are feeling better!
ReplyDeleteI think you just had the day from...nevermind. But it sounds awful! By the way, rubbing alcohol will take Sharpie off of most non-porous surfaces. Just put it on a cotton swab and wipe it all away. Trust me. I know.
ReplyDeleteMy word verification in the box down below is "jechrei". Say that out loud with a slight sneer on your lips and that about encompasses how I feel about your miserable day.
Love you!
I almost started crying with you. Oh Julia....sooo sad! What a crazy day! I hope the terror is over now and that you can already laugh about it. But if not...it's okay. Give it a year or ten.
ReplyDeleteAnd she didn't even say how sweet she was on the phone when I called to check in that morning....
ReplyDelete(I'm Becca's mom)
me: "how are things going so far?"
Julia: "well, um, you really don't want to hear this"
as if she was sorry to burden me with any bad news!
And then after she told me about the lipstick hair I said, "Did Becca put it in Annalise's hair?" and she said, "Well Annalise told her to." !
Gold Stars for you, Julia!
You need family living next to you so they can take care of you when you are out...
ReplyDeleteOh Julia. Bless your heart! We should have ate Ben and Jerry's together!
ReplyDelete