Thursday, June 21, 2012

Right Here

Today, I was feeling very sorry for the librarian at our local little branch.  She was all by herself and had a huge amount of people waiting to be helped.  She looked a little frazzled.  There are usually at least 2 librarians, but the other was on lunch break.  It was just a fluke that so many people showed up at the same time.  I got to the register at the same time as a middle-aged lady eating an ice cream cone.  An ice cream cone.  In the library.  OK?  She spent the wait complaining about the wait and how shocked she was that the library wasn't better staffed and how it didn't look like the librarian was even trying to hurry.  When I say little branch, I mean little branch.  This place is basically one room and an annex.

The librarian asked who was next.  Even though I was there at the same time as this woman she spoke right up, "Me!  I'm next." and she waddled her way to the front, smacking at her ice cream cone.  Whatever.  I don't care.  I'm just standing here keeping 2 young children under control, balancing a huge load of books and DVDs and pushing a tired baby in her car seat around the floor with my foot.  Actually, I really didn't care.  I was so intrigued by the lady eating a messy food in the library that I wanted to watch what would come next.

Librarian: "You really should not have that ice cream in the library."
Lady: (shrugging it off) "Yeah, I know.  I want the two books written by Obama."

Ah!!  That explains some things.  Of course you do!

Librarian:  "Do you know the titles of the books you'd like?"
Lady: "No."
Librarian: "Do you have a library card?"
Lady: "No."

Of course you don't.

Librarian: "Do you live in this county?"
Lady: "No, but I just want to check out the two books by Obama."
Librarian: "I can't just let you take books without a library card, and you can't get a library card if you aren't a resident of this county."
Lady: "But I'm just a little bit out of this county."

Oh that makes all the difference then!  *sarcastic snort*  It's not every day that I get to meet an entitled, self-centered, rules-don't-apply-to-me liberal in my neck of the woods.  It makes my boring, conservative, registered-Republican life a little more...entertaining, I guess.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds WAY too familiar -- reminds me of some of my librarian days days even in ultra-conservative Happy Valley. Though, this one takes the cake for sure. I'm impressed you handled it as well as you did, especially with three kids and heavy books to tow!

    ReplyDelete