Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Christmas Wallet

The Christmas Wallet?  That sounds like it could be the name of a sweet, sentimental Holiday tale.  Kind of Gift of the Magi-esque?  Not.  At.  All.

Tay and I decided that for Christmas this past year we wouldn't get anything for each other.  We'd had quite the financial year with a move, a new home, a new-to-us van, a hospital stay for Bun, a pregnancy for me etc.  Plus, we've been buying things along the way that could definitely count as early Christmas presents.  So, we bought the final two Harry Potter DVDs, wrapped them up, and called it good.

However, during that one week when I was addicted to slickdeals and the free-shipping-Ebay-daily-deals, I saw a wallet that was only $10, free shipping and supposedly retailed for $70.  Tay's current wallet at that time was falling apart, so I jumped right on it without thinking.  I acted so quickly, in fact, that I didn't realize I was logged into Tay's Ebay and Paypal accounts.  I spent the next week checking Tay's email constantly to erase order status emails that would spoil my $10 surprise.  I think I caught them all, but that wallet never arrived.  Several weeks later, Tay checked his voicemail from his old cell number.  One message was from the man who bought our previous house...90 minutes away.  I guess Tay never had a need to update his quick-ship info on Ebay, and I had acted so quickly that I didn't check the shipping info.  So that silly $10 wallet was shipped there.  Bummer.  A few days after Christmas we were in that city visiting friends, so we were able to finally pick it up.

So, Tay finally had his new wallet...for three whole days before it disappeared.  Worst ten bucks I ever spent.  There's some serious bad karma associated with that piece of leather.  Now to replace everything that was inside...and get another wallet, too.

3 comments:

  1. This is the most horrible story I've ever heard. I'm sorry, Tay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, now that I think about, I guess it's not the MOST horrible story I've EVER heard.

    But it still stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OhMyGoodnessSakesAlive! Tay just found that stinkin' wallet in the slacks he had searched several times already. Ah well. At least it got me to make an appointment to renew our Temple recommends which expire next month anyway.

    ReplyDelete