Yesterday I went to the mall. To shop. For myself. With both girls in tow. Let me tell you, I think the mall has morphed into some strange planet since the last time I shopped for myself. It is a whole lot different than Old Navy, or Kohl's, or Target (should I keep going?) I was completely out of my element. I didn't even know what size to try on. And I had forgotten that when an employee asks you, "How're you doin' in there?" they don't really want an honest answer. They just want you to say "fine" like everyone else does. I couldn't believe how uncomfortable I was around all those Barbie-perfect people who don't talk to strangers.
And then I went to Lowe's.
Hallelujah! I knew exactly what I needed. I knew exactly where to go to find it. And when it wasn't there on the shelf I asked a very helpful employee, "are these the only natural fiber brushes? I need a 4 inch, but this is the only one I can find. I need something that can withstand painting a very rough surface." And the employee was happy to help! And even though CJ had a huge stain on her shirt, the cashier told me how cute my girls looked in their matching hair bows. They only had matching hair bows because we had been to the mall. But I think that cashier would have thought they were cute even without the bows.
My friend Tonya said that Lowe's should start selling clothes. What a great idea. I am completely in my element in Lowe's. I would have no problem shopping for clothes at Lowe's. And while I shop, Tay can take CJ and Bun for a tour of the lights aisle, because of course if I was at Lowe's, he wouldn't want to be left out.
"What has become of me?" I say while wearing my husband's jogging shorts and an old tee. But at least I put on make up today.
Disclaimer: I just got back from running. Still no excuse for how I look, I realize, but thought I'd try to save a little face any how.
We are laughing over here. And I know you look beautiful, as always. :) Next time we see you, Aaron thinks we should all go on a trip to the hardware store so y'all can instill in me an appreciation for Lowe's. He sees fun family activities. I see a bunch of projects I'll never get around to doing.
ReplyDeleteOh, you brave woman. Taking two little girls to the mall? I don't know how our mother did it. Maybe I should take lessons from you on how to survive, even while out of your element. My element is the bookstore. Or the grocery store. Or the playground. Those are good elements to have, I think. If I ever went to Lowe's, it would probably be up there on the list too.
ReplyDeleteSounds like we all need to re-do another room in Mom and Dad's house. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd you still want to go shopping with me...? Crazy! :)
ReplyDeleteThe beautiful thing about Lowe's is you don't have to wear make up or put on a bra.
ReplyDelete