Monday, May 5, 2014

Bun's Question

Houses are usually crazy places right before dinner time. It's the bewitching hour, you know. Last Saturday dinner was almost ready.  I was finishing up a few things inside and Tay was manning the grill. Out of nowhere, Bun walked up to me in our noisy kitchen and said, "Mom, can I have a bra?"

What?

I was taken aback by that question coming from my 4-year-old, but I tried to act like it wasn't a big deal. After all, I want her to know that she can talk with me about anything. She wasn't acting awkward, so I shouldn't either.

I told her in a matter-of-fact voice that her chest was still small, but that in several years it would grow and we would buy her a bra at that time.

Bun: (Clutching her chest and looking slightly heartbroken) "But Mom, I really want one today."

After more in depth explaining on my part, Bun looked like she would burst into tears. She looked weirded out, too. And that's when I realized something: In a noisy kitchen, the word "bra" can sound an awful lot like the word "brat."....as in bratwurst....as in the bratwursts that Tay was grilling. I think Bun might never ask for food again. Scarred for life.

1 comment: