Thursday, June 9, 2011

Taste the Rainbow

When I was nearly 8 years old, my Grandma picked me up from school one day for a special date day.  We walked the mall, got KFC and made cookies.  I still remember most of the day.  I remember doing dishes with Grandma and Grandpa.  Grandma washed and Grandpa dried.  No one rinsed.  I was fascinated!

My Grandma is a wonderful historian and wrote about our day for me in a special book which she gave me for my 8th birthday.  She remembered more of the day than I do.  She said that when she picked me up from school, I had a slightly melted Skittle clutched in my palm that I had been saving all day for my little sister, Rachel.  Grandma thought this was the sweetest gesture.  I still don't understand why it was sweet, since I was giving that Skittle to Rachel in exchange for her not touching any of my stuff.

I've been thinking about Skittles today.  CJ has been having difficulty getting to sleep at night, and has been getting out of bed frequently.  Last night I bribed her with a Skittle on her nightstand if she'd stay in bed all night.  She didn't fall asleep for 2 hours, but she stayed in that bed!  I was so proud of her that I asked Tay to put THREE Skittles on the nightstand early this morning.  Part way through the morning, CJ remembered that she had candy waiting and ran upstairs to get it.  I'm sure she was excited to find three times the promised sugar.  She ran back downstairs and immediately gave a Skittle to Bun without saying anything to me.  I just happened to see it out of the corner of my eye.

It warmed to my heart to see my little daughter being so kind.  My girls are already more good than I am!  I've been reading a new book and came across a quote that I immediately loved.  It is so opposite the typical girl-power attitude of our day, but it is exactly what I want for my sweet girls.  It is timeless.  It is tried and proven.  Family brings me so much happiness every day.

I want my daughters to be beautiful, accomplished, and good.  To be admired, loved, and respected.  To have a happy youth, to be well and wisely married, and to lead useful, pleasant lives, with as little care and sorrow to try them as God sees fit to send.   
To be loved and chosen by a good man is the best and sweetest thing which can happen to a woman, and I sincerely hope my girls may know this beautiful experience.
--"Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott

5 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this! Especially the part about the Skittle for Rachel. I'll be giggling all night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a sweetheart! So, does Rachel know now why you showered her with candy as a kid? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Rachel knew then. We "shared" a room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brings back a flood of memories and I love this post! We had so little when you were young that you were all very unselfish. I knew anytime a child had a birthday in one of your classes because the treat that the other children gobbled on the way out the door was carefully brought home and divided. I know you better than you will give yourself credit for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I don't actually remember being showered with candy. What I do remember from sharing a room with you is you would let me crawl into your bed in the middle of the night if I had a nightmare. Give yourself a little credit. I think your girls just learned from you.

    ReplyDelete